Pages

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Tempe and Helena's jobs

{pardon the open toilet in the bathroom--Tempe leaves it open because it is easier when she is rushing}
I've been meaning to make a job list for Tempe and Helena, but it was just one of those things that I kept putting off. I finally got to it last night and this morning the girls helped me decorate it. They (especially Tempe) are thrilled to have jobs! All morning Tempe would ask me what was next on her list, scamper off to do it, and then run back to watch me mark it off.
This truly is a job list and not a reward chart. I want my children to be in the habit of helping around the house and doing their "jobs" regardless of whether or not they are being rewarded for it. So, instead of a sticker chart or marble jar or something similar, I simply printed off their job list, let them decorate it, and stuck it in a normal frame. After they finish something, I use a washable marker to cross it off directly on the glass, and at the end of the day, we can wipe it clean.
When I was thinking of jobs to include on the list, I started by asking myself what all of our jobs are. Jason's job is to work and provide for us and be a daddy; my job is to take care of my kids, my husband, and my house and be a mommy; my kids' jobs are to be kids--to play, explore, and learn about the world around them and how they fit into it. So along with "Take my dishes to the sink", "Set the table", "Put away my pajamas", and "Clean my room before bedtime", I included "Play with my sister", "Say 'I love you'", "Learn something", and "Read a book". I also want to help them develop the skills they need to take care of themselves, so I added "Keep my panties dry all day", "Eat a fruit", "Eat a vegetable", and "Brush my teeth".
I think I came up with a good balance of learning, playing, and helping, which is exactly what I want their childhood to be.
The girls are excited with their new responsibilites and I'm excited to watch them!
And just for fun, here is a picture of them sleeping--both on the top bunk. They started that about a week ago, and I think Tempe wouldn't mind having her bed to herself again, but Helena loves sleeping with her sis!

4 comments:

J'Nette said...

i love it, they are adorable. great idea on the chore chart and all the different things to check off. I love the ones that aren't really chores but good things to do.

robinly said...

You are a remarkable mother. I hope you know that.

Adrienne said...

great chart. my boys are the same age as your girls (and we just found out we're having a girl too) and they love sleeping together on the bottom bunk. too cute

Allie said...

Great post, thanks for linking it. I love the practical approach for balance, totally fits for our family too. I will be using it for sure!