Pages

Friday, September 18, 2009

Play School: Numbers

This week in Pla ySchool we learned about numbers. I taught this week and I'll be honest, finding fun things to do to teach numbers was a challenge. But I think it ended up being a pretty good lesson!
Concepts: Counting, more and less
Game: Three Little Monkeys: after singing "Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed" and reading Five Little Monkey Sitting in a Tree by Eileen Christelow, I had my three little monkeys stand on the windowseat and "tease" the "crocodile" (me) until I snapped them down from the windowseat.
We also played a game called "Hose it down". I wrote large numbers in chalk on the driveway and let the kids take turns choosing one to spray off with the hose.

Finally, we played hopscotch. Big B was the only one that really "got it", but Tempe and little B had fun tossing their rocks and hopping on the numbers.


Books: One Duck Stuck by Phyllis Root; Mouse Count by Ellen Stoll Walsh; 1, 2, 3 to the Zoo by Eric Carle; Five Little Monkeys Sitting in a Tree by Eileen Christelow; Anno's Counting Book by Mitsumasa Anno; and Fish Eyes by Lois Ehlert
Songs: Five Little Monkeys (Sitting in a Tree and Jumping on the Bed); One Little Kid; Five Little Ducks
Snack: More or less? Marshmallows, raisins, and pretzels: I put drastically unequal amounts of the snacks, one at a time, in two separate bowls and asked the kids which bowl had more or less. After they answered, I gave them each a handful of the snack to eat.
Get-to-know-you question: Ok, I admit it. I forgot to ask them the question this week. I couldn't think of a good number question, so I was just going to ask them how old they are. The answers are 5, 3 1/2, and 3.

No comments: