Pages

Saturday, March 13, 2010

the man in black

{I'd love to wear a rainbow every day
and tell the world that everything's okay.
But I'll try to carry off a little darkness on my back
'til things are brighter, I'm the man in black}
Do you know that we are big Johnny Cash fans? Even Tempe and Helena. Do you see Tempe's "Cry, cry, cry" onesie? She's wearing it in that picture of us at Johnny Cash's grave.
Yes, we went to his grave.
Jason's grandpa was Johnny Cash's biggest fan ever. He even named one of his sons Cash. He met Johnny a year or two later and told him about his son named Cash--the man in black was so impressed that he sent them a huge autographed portrait, which still hangs in a place of prominence in their house. Jason's youngest uncle once told me that for a long time he thought Johnny Cash was Jesus, because his was the biggest picture in the room.
Grandpa Gary never missed an episode of the Johnny Cash show. No one was allowed to talk while the show was on because he recorded them on his tape recorder. I wonder what happened to those tapes?
After Grandpa Gary died, all the grandkids got to pick one of his Johnny Cash albums. Jason chose "Orange Blossom Special". Someday, we will frame it. And it will hang in a place of prominence.
PS: Jason wore black for a week when Johnny Cash died.

6 comments:

Janae said...

That is awesome! I am a Johnny Cash fan too. I can sing/say all the words to a Boy named Sue.

Christie said...

I knew Jason was a fan, but I did not realize the man in black was such an integral part of your lives! The other day I was surprised to see him on an episode of Little House on the Prairie. I guess he's an integral part of all of our lives. :)

Margaret said...

I didn't know you went to Johnny's grave! Love how you all dressed appropriately for the occasion. That's so funny about Cash thinking Johnny was Jesus...:)Oh, and yes, I remember the days of watching the Johnny Cash show...in silence of course. :)

gjan said...

I didn't know Jason wore black in mourning after Johnny Cash died. I should have done the same. Like Margaret, I remember watching the TV show in silence. We could only talk during commercials.

Jen said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Johnny Cash!

Abby@AppMtn said...

My kids have the same tee! And I love the Cash = Jesus story. :)