Pages

Monday, May 24, 2010

namaste

This post has SPOILERS in it, so I am turning the text white in an effort to protect those who have not lost their LOST virginity or are otherwise unaware of the finale. Just highlight if you want to read.
Well, it's over. After six wonderful years, LOST has let go and walked into that white light.
What did you think?
I thought it was amazing.
To me, LOST has always been about the people. The mythology of the island was fun and compelling, but the relationships formed, the personal struggles, and the basic battle between good and evil was the true basis of the show. Ending the show with the emphasis on these relationships seemed perfectly fitting.
I've heard LOST referred to as an iceberg--what we see is just a tiny bit of the true bulk. Do we really need all the answers to all the questions about Dharma, electromagnetism, the hostiles, Walt and so on? I don't think so. I think it's a stronger show for leaving a lot of that up to interpretation. It's like the end of The Giver; if you knew what was at the bottom of the hill, would it be as good of a book?
I am a little surprised by how many people out there in internet world are confused as to what was going on in what we've been calling the flash-sideways, but was really a flash-forward: it was limbo. purgatory. an in-between place. the wood between the worlds. It was just a place that Jack, Kate, Sawyer, Hurley, and all our other old friends constructed after they died (at different times: some before Jack, some long after him) in order to come to terms with their lives and their deaths and be able to move on into the light together.
Oh, and how great was it that the last scene was Jack closing his eye. I love when things come full circle.

3 comments:

Amy said...

I agree with you! I thought it was perfect! And I, too, am glad that they left alot of questions unanswered! What a great show!!

Candice said...

You know I loved it, as I've already posted about it today.

What I, too, find interesting is that all these people are questioning what happened with the flash-sideways. Your assumption and mine are the exact same. And even Christian told the audience. Very simple, yet poignant ending. And I think you're correct about knowing every single detail about the island. There is simply no way TO explain it. Because honestly, what character could have truly come to understand the island? None of them. Understanding the characters, their purpose, their journey, that was the essence of LOST.

And, I also like how they ended the show with every character finding their correct counterpoint. I worried they were going to pair Kate with Jack when I really felt like the love of Sawyer's life was Juliet. Same with Kate and Jack. It was just so....beautiful!

Glad you enjoyed it!

Cheryl said...

I completely agree. I too am surprised at how many people I've seen today saying they didn't get it... asking did that mean they were dead all the time, etc. I thought it was very clear and loved it.

By the way, I found your blog when I was researching Joy school.