Pages

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

doing it all

Lately I have been feeling a little overwhelmed.
Taking care of a home and family is really a lot of work.
Now that summer is in full swing, I'm spending a lot of time in our yard, trying to keep it presentable, and it's wearing me out. Our grass is dying, but our weeds are multiplying. Our deck needs to be sanded and stained (something we've been dreading and putting off since we moved in 18 months ago).
So my way of coping is by dividing my house and yard into sections and spending half an hour on each one every day, instead of saving it all for Saturday. Half an hour isn't much time, but if you do it every day, it's enough to keep everything in order.
Here's my schedule:
Monday: kitchen and front garden
Tuesday: girls' bathroom and garden by the house
Wednesday: laundry and vegetable garden
Thursday: master bathroom and backyard weeding
Friday: floors and dusting
On Saturday, we tackle our big projects and catch up with anything that didn't get done during the week.
How do you handle the demands of housework and yardwork?

3 comments:

Candice said...

I don't have a large family like you do, but I can relate to the yardwork situation. Keeping my flowers alive in this heat is causing me more work than I was ever prepared for.

Your schedule looks good--hope it gets a little easier! Maybe your hubby can help on the weekends too :-)

Twisted Cinderella said...

I do get overwhelmed by it. my youngest is already 6 months old and I am still trying to come up with a real working system.

Stephens Family said...

I think it takes awhile to get a system to work - and it takes a lot of trial and error! I agree with taking a little at a time. I do dusting on Mondays, laundry on Tuesdays and Fridays, groceries on Wednesdays, etc. I also write everything down and try to follow a schedule. That way, I know it will get done (eventually) and I don't have to feel overwhelmed by trying to do it all in a day! I like your ideas - I'm sure it will work great!