Pages

Friday, July 22, 2011

my baby has {legs}

Well, yesterday was Juno's big day! After an open hip reduction, 6 weeks in a Spica cast, and 6 weeks in a broomstick cast, she is finally free.


This is Dr. Stevens. He's Juno's pediatric orthopedist. He works at Primary Chidren's Medical Center, but he also volunteers his time and talents all over the world. He's been treating disorders like HD, club feet, and bowed legs for over 30 years!
Juno did not like the saw at all. I don't blame her! It was so loud that I couldn't even hear her screaming. It must have been scary!


And here's my little frog!

After 3 months with her knees bent and her legs spread apart, she is incredibly flexible! She's also still pretty sore while her muscles adjust and change position. We're looking forward to seeing her discover all the things her legs can do in the next few weeks!

13 comments:

Lora said...

CONGRATS to Juno!!! She does look like a little frog. My daughter broke her arm last year and the saw scared the crap out of her too when it was time to take the cast off, and she was 4 years old, I can't imagine what a baby would think of that whole thing!

Did they give you any idea how long it will take her to get used to being free?

Abby@AppMtn said...

What a milestone! So happy she's come through it - and I'm sure she'll be doing all sorts of fun things once she gets used to having those legs free. :)

Rachel said...

That is SO wonderful! I'm so very happy for you and for her. What a journey you have all been on. That little girl has been through a lot in her short life. How fun to see her learn to use her legs and have new found freedom. You are amazing Kate and Juno is SO cute!

Jen said...

Yay!! She is such a cute little froggie. I bet it is sure nice to not have all that extra weight of the cast. I hope the surgery and cast did their job and that little Juno can get better and grow big and strong!

Julie Nickerson said...

That is so wonderful!!!!

YAY! for Juno!!!!

So happy that this is behind you. Does she need to wear a brace at night?

Holland Blog said...

I bet she will be moving all around getting into everything before you know it! She is so adorable! Our thoughts are with you guys and little Juno as she grows!

Claire said...

Hooray! What a cutie :) I'm amazed at your creativity along the way, you really made the best of it.

Stephens Family said...

We were thinking of her lots yesterday, hoping things all went well. I bet she loves being free - we can't wait to see her again!

J'Nette said...

this post seriously makes my day! i am so happy for you and juno. it will be fun to see how she grows and learns as she makes up for some lost time, she'll be running around before you know it!

Jamie said...

So glad!! I'm sure she has discovered so many new things already:) Congratulations sweet little Juno!

Brooke said...

Yay!! She has the cast off!! How is she doing? I hope she's doing great!

Denise Faulkner said...

So exciting!! What a journey for you guys... You are so strong and positive and always display a creative lesson to things! I really admire that:-). Juno is so cute and i see a lot of kate in her!

Rachel said...

CONGRATULATIONS! I think my cousin is taking her baby to Dr. Stevens this week. Her baby was born a couple weeks ago with a club foot!