Pages

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Quiet time baskets: Thanksgiving



I should have posted this basket last week, before Thanksgiving--in case any of you needed some ideas to keep the kiddos occupied while the Thanksgiving cookfest was going on!Our Thanksgiving quiet time basket was simple, but fun. In fact, I'm going to keep it out for another week or so, because the girls really like it. I included a book by Tomie dePaola that I got at Seagull Book for $1. Then I raided my girls' play kitchen for Thanksgiving-esque food. I ended up with two green plates and a wooden Melissa and Doug crate with a turkey leg, corn on the cob, a baked potato, a roll, and a piece of cherry pie. I also included an old kitchen timer and two empty spice containers that I added dry beans to (mostly for Juno's benefit, but the older girls liked shaking it, too)



Need ideas on how to play with this?



We turned the basket on its side and used it as our pretend oven. We shook the "seasonings" all over the food, put them in the pretend oven, and then set the pretend timer. While our food was "cooking", we read the Thanksgiving book and pointed out what foods in the book we ate at our own Thanksgiving feast. This is also a great opportunity to talk about table manners or food groups!



Want more ideas? Check out the rest of my quiet time baskets!

No comments: