Pages

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Couch to 5k

Anyone who knew me in high school is probably going to laugh hysterically when they read this post.

I have a new goal--I'm going to run a 5k in the spring!

I realize that a 5k is a pathetically short distance, but for someone who has never actually run an entire mile all at once, it's a lofty goal. I am the biggest non-runner out there. Unfortunately, baby weight doesn't just melt off after the third baby! Totally unfair, I know.

I have a few friends who have done the Couch-to-5k program and really liked it. This program is designed to get non-runners (couch potatoes) ready to run a 5k in nine weeks. You start out literally running for 60 seconds and then walking for 90 seconds.

I have a sweet friend and neighbor whose daughters have volunteered to babysit my girls twice a week so I can go running. This makes me so happy for several reasons! First, now I don't have to drag my unwilling children along with me. I do have a jogging stroller (that fits all three children!) but I just can't imagine them sitting nicely for half an hour while I run. Ugh. It makes me shudder just thinking about it. Second, having a standing babysitting appointment will keep my accountable. I won't be able to decide it's too cold/I'm too tired/whatever other excuse and just not go.

I started the program this week and so far, I really like it! I'm going to post about my progress every Saturday, so stay tuned.

2 comments:

Margaret said...

Way to go, Kate! Now that my foot is healed I am going to start running again, too. Let me know what 5k you are doing and I may join you.

Rachel said...

oh that is SO nice! I'm so happy for you! You'll do so great, Kate! Keep us posted on how it goes for you!!