Pages

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Kate vs the almost 3-year-old

My mom always said that there was no such thing about the "terrible two's"--but she was a firm believer in the "terrible three's" (and from what I remember of Jeff when he was 3, I believe her). Tempe will be 3 in 3 months and she has gotten pretty demanding lately. The hardest part is the shock from my easy child turning into my difficult child, and my difficult child turning into my easy child! Tempe has never, ever been clingy, but lately she has a hard time going to sleep unless we lay down by her and she wants me to stay with her during quiet time/nap time. She has been having a hard time playing with her little friends. She also throws tantrums ALL. THE. TIME. Meanwhile, Helena is pleasant, happy, and sleeping 16 hours a day. What?!?! Wasn't it just a few weeks ago that Tempe would play happily by herself for hours while Helena cried every time I dared to put her down?
I think I have let my routine kind of fall apart when we moved into our own place--the demands of cleaning again (*GASP!*) and unpacking made me loosen up, and Tempe is suffering from it. I used to have an activity or an outing for us to do every day, and we had specific snack times and play times and quiet times and the day just flowed really well. Now, I find myself staring at the clock, willing it to be 1:00 so I can put the kids in their rooms for quiet time/nap time (is that mean?)
So. I need to get things under control again. I need to have a regular snack time. I need to find some more projects for Tempe. I need to be more consistent in our daily routine.
Monday: baking project for FHE
Tuesday: playgroup
Wednesday: story time at the library
Thursday: art project
Friday: outing
Along with those specific activities for each day, we are going to play outside each day, read books each day, have a healthy snack each day, do simple chores each day...
This is not to say that children don't need unscheduled time where they can just play however they want, because they do--and some children need more than others. But children also need structure. Tempe acts out when she gets bored, so if I can keep her occupied with constructive activities all day, I really hope her behavior will improve.
Any other tips?

No comments: