Pages

Thursday, June 4, 2009

side by side vs front and back

when I was pregnant with Lena, I spent a lot of time researching double strollers. With two under two I thought it was pretty much a necessity (and I was right). In fact, I actually have two doubles, one for the mall and the zoo and other such places, and one for walks around the neighborhood. But unfortunately, both my doubles are side by side doubles. I made that choice after thinking long and hard about the pros and cons of both side by sides and front and backs. I chose the side by side because they tend to fold down smaller and be easier to steer and I didn't want one girl to always be stuck in back and unable to see.
But I didn't think about how easy it is for two little girls to fight constantly when strapped in side by side. Today we went for a walk with a friend. All four of our kids fell apart and were howling in their respective strollers at one point, and Tempe and Helena quickly lost it completely. It started with leaning on each other, then pushing each other, then scratching, hitting, and biting each other. I actually had to take Lena out and carry her the rest of the way because the fighting got so bad. So experienced moms, what do I do? Besides rue the day I chose a side by side double stroller, of course.

5 comments:

Jen said...

thanks for the tip! :-)

gjan said...

if it makes you feel any better, I had the front and back stroller and Katelyn learned to pull Corinne's hair and kick her - I think it is just a sister thing - they manage to fight no matter how you situate them

Margaret said...

I know it's not funny, but I just had to laugh at Jan's comment. Sad, but true. Siblings do always find a way to fight with each other if the urge strikes them. But, there will be good days and bad days..... Hang in there!

Kathryn said...

Give me another year and I might be in the same boat! I got my side-by-side a month ago and so far so good, the only problem I have seen so far is Cade hates it when Ethan's blanket goes on 'his side' but we'll see I guess, Ethan is too young to put up a fight just yet.

Jamie said...

This is quite possibly the most perplexing problem with two kids... hmm... let me know what you determine b/c I trust your judgment completely and am soon to invest in a double:)