Pages

Friday, July 31, 2009

dear facebook

Me, Tyler, Brett, Laura, Chris and Scott

Dear Facebook,
If it weren't for you, I never would have taken this picture with some of my very best friends from high school. For one reason or another, we fell out of touch and I let years go by without speaking to them or seeing them at all. And then when I joined Facebook a few years ago in Wyoming, I was able to reconnect with so many of them--Brett, Chris, Laura, Lisa, Elisse, Brad, Matt, Kent. Keeping up with each other online was nice, but I longed to see them again, and I got that chance a few nights ago, when Brett, Chris, Laura, Lisa, and Scott came over to my house. It was the first time I had seen Chris in almost 6 years and Brett in 4. We had a great few hours catching up with each other's lives and it reminded me why we had been such good friends in the first place. The only sad part about the evening was the regret I felt at the years we had lost.
Some people may bemoan the fact that Facebook and other social networking sites are taking the place of face-to-face communication, but I thank you. If it weren't for you, I doubt I ever would have seen my good friends again.
W.A.C./Katty T. Fatty




{PS} wanna know why Katty T. Fatty still makes me giggle? When we were seniors, Chris and I were accumulating our college applications. Chris filled out the request for an application to be sent to me from BYU, but instead of giving them my name, he put in my nickname: Katty T. Fatty. I thought it was funny until I got the application in the mail a few weeks later, addressed to Katty T. Fatty! That's not the only Katty T. Fatty story that makes me giggle, but it's the one I'm telling here.

No comments: