Pages

Saturday, July 11, 2009

embracing my imperfection

There is huge pressure from LDS society to be the {perfect} housewife--one who is a master seamstress and super crafty, bakes fresh goodies every afternoon, keeps the house spotless, and never *gasp* shouts at her children. Plus, you have to look cute and keep up with the latest trends.
Confession.
I can't do any of those things. My sewing is mediocre at best, my homemade goodies have no flavor, I don't do my hair or wear makeup, and I don't even know what the latest trends are.
And I'm tired of trying to keep up. Not so much with the appearance and trends thing (I've never been one to much care about trends) but the other stuff? Yeah. Done. Oh, I'm going to continue to sew/craft/bake/clean/be nice to my kids, because I enjoy creating things. But I'm not going to obsess over my crooked seams, my uncreative crafts, my dry cookies, my crumby kitchen floor ('cause it always has crumbs, no matter how often I sweep), and my occasional loss of patience with my kids. I'm going to embrace every shoddily finished sewing project, because I finished it and I used to not be able to sew at all. I'm going to shamelessly copy ideas from craft blogs and just enjoy the process of creating something useful.
anyone else out there want to embrace their imperfection along with me?

6 comments:

Amy said...

I love this post, thank you for reminding us to jsut be ourselves and not worry about what others think of us. As long as our family is happy, we are doing everything we need to do!!

Janice said...

Great post. I am glad you figured it out. Sometimes I get overwhemed I just give up. Thanks.

The Hulls said...

I would love to embrace my imperfection! Thanks Kate!

Unknown said...

agreed....i've never understood how crafting has anything to do with being a good mother.

Lisa said...

Kate, go to www.youtube.com/mormonmessages and click on the one entitled "create". You'll see that you don't have to play the piano or paint a masterpiece in order to be creative. Just for the record though: I've always been amazed at your creativity and ingenuity. Who else would pretend that bottles of shampoo were babies? Well, maybe Tempe would. Like mother, like daughter! Anyway, I want to embrace my imperfections too!

first lady said...

ha ha .. i didn't realize there was that pressure on being 'perfect' .... is that how it is in utah? (remember i have never been out there) oh those perfect people probably wouldn't know what to do if they came across me huh?

when i make something i called it a kristy creation. and derek knows my style and what to expect. soo embrace and call it a kate creation. it's your style. smile.