Pages

Saturday, August 29, 2009

all good things must come to an end

I have been very crafty the last two months. Very, very crafty. And it's been great.
But all good things must come to an end.
And my Summer of Crafts is ending on Monday.
I'm sure I will still find time to make things, just not constantly the way I have in July and August. Wanna know why? Because starting on Monday I will be consumed with Psych 306 and Hist 433.
Besides creating and naming babies, school is my other big passion. As of right now, I have 20 credits left to complete my bachelor's degree. I'm hoping to knock out 6 credits fall semester, 6 credits winter semester, 6 credits next fall semester, and my final 2 credit capstone class in the winter of '11, setting me up to {graduate} in April of 2011. Oh, that will be a happy day.
Want to know something corny/silly/somewhat embarrassing? Sometimes when I picture myself walking across the stage in my cap and gown (probably with a baby in tow--I think it's cute when people do that), I cry.
I'll be honest in saying that graduating from college was not a big priority for me when I was actually in college. It wasn't until I married Jason and he dragged me off to windy Wyoming for law school that I realized how much I wanted to graduate. I considered transferring to UW, but was so frustrated by the transfer process and the way my credits were adding up that I gave up. I took online classes through BYU, but didn't make much headway. During Jason's last year of law school, I decided to take some classes at UW and was lucky enough to get a Pell Grant and a scholarship to pay for them. After transferring those 13 credits back to BYU, I enrolled in BYU's Bachelor of General Studies program, in the Family Life emphasis.
I still sometimes feel like all the time and money I am spending on this program might be a waste. How much help will a general degree be in real life? Besides, I don't plan on working outside the home unless it's absolutely necessary. But I figure a degree in general studies will help me get a job at Target, as opposed to a job at Wal-Mart (haha).
But more importantly, graduating from college has become a huge personal goal for me. I want to show my girls that it is possible to get married and have kids, and still finish school. I want to finish what I started. I want the satisfaction of saying "Yes, I have a bachelor's degree." And someday, when my kids are out of the house, I am pretty sure I will go back for a master's.

4 comments:

Candi said...

Good for you! Sounds like you've read the visiting teaching lesson for this month :)

Anonymous said...

Kate, I think you are so awesome for being able to juggle all of that - school and a family and your many crafty endeavors. You're a great big sis to look up to!

Grace @ One Craft Girl's Corner said...

That's wonderful! I taught elementary school for ten years and got my Master of Education, and I became a SAHM last year. I don't regret getting my MA because it took dedication and hard work. Your children will appreciate all you did for yourself one day. It will show them how important it is to finish what you've started. Good luck!

Shelby said...

Good for you!!! I think it's awesome that you are getting your degree. I too have an unfinished degree hanging over my head. I am hoping to go back and finish it sometime in the not so distant future. Like you, I don't really plan on working outside the home but I want to show my children that you can do whatever you want no matter what!