Pages

Saturday, August 15, 2009

throw pillow mania


I have officially found my new favorite thing to make: throw pillows. They are so versatile and easy! They can be as simple or as dressed-up as you want them to be. So far, my red and white outdoor ruffle pillow and this blue bird pillow are my favorite. I made these two pillows to dress up my living room. I even have an idea to dress up our horrendous mirror wall--but you'll have to wait to see it.
Anyway, these two pillows are made out of an old dress that was hanging in my closet. I loved the dress but it shrank and it was too short on me now, so it became pillows.
The blue pillow was originally blank, but it was so blah that I added this bird. My method is not the "correct" method of doing this, but I didn't have any Wonder-Under and I didn't want to go to the store. First I found a clipart of a bird silhouette that I liked online and printed it off. I cut it out and laid it out my fabric and used a sharpie to trace around it. Then I carefully cut the bird silhouette out of the fabric. I pinned it in place on the blue background and very, very carefully stitched it in place. I like the raw edge instead of the more finished edge that comes from using an iron on. It was a pretty easy project and only took me half of naptime--even with the pillowcase tearing as I tried to stuff the pillowform in.

3 comments:

Jodee said...

Cute pillows! I love your blog name too!

Have a great weekend!

Forty Two East said...

Beautiful throw pillows!! Love the soft blue.

Rachel said...

I love your throw pillows!!