Pages

Friday, December 10, 2010

a conversation with my pediatrician

"Doctor, why is Juno's eye all goopy?"
"Well, the first woman doctor in the United States, Elizabeth Blackwell, couldn't practice medicine here, because let's face it, who would trust a woman doctor? She had to go to France to practice and she worked with a lot of, shall we say, 'ladies of the night'. One day she was doing a pelvic exam on one of these ladies and she touched her eye before washing her hands, and she developed gonorrhea in the eyes. She was blind within 24 hours. Gonorrhea is very dangerous in the eyes, you see. And when babies are born they come out of a part of the body that is not known for being clean, and some babies pick up gonorrhea or conjunctivitis as they pass through the birth canal. That's why we administer eye drops at birth. But Juno just has a blocked tear duct--here are some eye drops."
I think I need a new pediatrician.

9 comments:

Lora said...

LOL! Oh MAN!

I think you do need a new pediatrician!

On another note my baby had blocked tear ducts and had goopy eyes for about 9 months before they started the clear. I was told there were not any drops to help open the ducts, and just to use warm compresses frequently and keep them as clean as possible so he didn't get an infection. I was also told if they didn't clear up by a year they would do a small procedure to pen up the tear ducts.

I hope Juno's eye gets better faster than my little man's did! Strangers were always asking if he had pink eye.

Elisse Carma said...

holy cow!

J'Nette said...

hmm you could make a serious quote book out of your pediatrician. I think you REALLY need a new pediatrician. I need to come see you soon, and beautiful little Juno!

Candice said...

Go with your gut and get a NEW pediatrician RIGHT NOW.

Disgusting.

Denise Faulkner said...

WHAT????? WOW!!!!

Lisa said...

I can vouch for Kate. This did happen. I was there.

Tricia and Jon said...

Are you kidding me? Holy cow. Try Claudia Fruin in Bountiful, she's amazing! :)

Stephens Family said...

Hmmm...yes, time for a new pediatrician. It sounds like a sitcom!

Jamie said...

I love it! Like your sleep deprived self needs the long answer:) On another note, I think you are a WONDERFUL mommy! You're my hero:)