Pages

Thursday, December 9, 2010

just breathe

I need an attitude adjustment.
I admit, having three kids is hard.
The hard part isn't necessarily the three kids--it's the different issues all three kids have that I have to deal with all at the same time.
It's being up with a baby all night and then not getting a nap because the big kids have outgrown them.
And for someone who thrives on having a routine and structure, it's trying (and failing) to fit a baby into that routine and structure.
So I need to resign myself to letting the girls watch a movie every day if it means I get a rest and can be a nice mom.
And I need to resign myself to the fact that Juno might not take every nap in her crib and instead of fitting into our schedule, maybe we will just have to fit into hers.
And I need to remember, every night as I walk down the hall to Juno's room and doze on the couch with her, that these days do not last forever--indeed, they go so quickly and soon I will miss cuddling with her in the middle of the night.
But most of all, I need to remember that
"The {napping and sleeping} will wait til tomorrow
For children grow up as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs, dust go to sleep--
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep."
ETA: I changed the first line of this poem from "cooking and cleaning" because quite frankly, I am way more concerned with getting some sleep right now!

5 comments:

Holland Blog said...

Love this! It's nice to really remember everything can't be so routine like we want, you're a great mom!

Brad said...

I love that poem! So true. -elisse

Unknown said...

thanks for your openness and honesty! i'm sure you can do it. LOVE the poem!

Margaret said...

That poem has been one of my favorites since Nate was born. And the moments and days may seem to go on forever, but you'll find the years really do fly by. Sometimes it does seem like yesterday that my kids were babies. Don't be too hard on yourself. Adding a third child to the mix is challenging, but you will be fine. Don't tell yourself you have to be perfect and don't expect to be on a schedule right away. Your girls are adorable and so lucky to have you as their mom. (And Jason as their dad, of course!)

gjan said...

I had that poem running through my head for many years. Although I don't miss the sleepless nights I really miss rocking my babies. I know its tough now, but you are a great mom and things will get better. Hang in there.