Pages

Thursday, March 24, 2011

jolly good fun!


We celebrated Helena's 3rd birthday a week early so that Grandma Lisa and Grandpa K could come to her very first friend party!!!
Helena and Tempe watched "The Wizard of Oz" a few months ago on tv and absolutely loved it. I thought it would be a fun party theme!
We have a vintage copy of "The Wizard of Oz" (the book), so I traced these illustrations to use on the invitations. I designed the rest of the invitation on the computer (in word, it was before I discovered Picnik) and printed them on scrapbook paper. I just had to add some sparkly red paint to Dorothy's ruby slippers!
This sign serves a double purpose--a decoration inspired by the movie, plus our doorbell really doesn't work. The food table. We served Toto-in-a-Blanket (pigs in a blanket), Over the Rainbow Fruit Salad, Wicked Lemonade, and Ruby Red Velvet Cupcakes.
I made the cupcake toppers, but I cannot for the life of me find the tutorial. So just know that they are not an original creation. I was so excited to find blue gingham cupcake wrappers at Michael's Crafts! The birthday girl's cupcake with a sparkly blue "3" candle, of course!

My mother-in-law lent me this little Munchkin barbie to hold the fruit salad tag. I layered strawberries, oranges, bananas, kiwis, and blueberries to make a rainbow fruit salad. Here is the book that inspired it all!
Here's my little Dorothy with Toto! You can see the Wicked Lemonade in the picture, too--it's just raspberry lemonade, but instead of ice, I put frozen mixed berries in the pitcher. It's wicked good.

One of the games we played was Pin the Heart on the Tin Man. We also played Wizard of Oz Says (just like Simon says, only all Wizard of Oz things, like "Melt like the wicked witch of the west!" or "Twirl like the twister that took Dorothy's house to Oz!") We also did a little art activity. I bought little wooden house shapes from the craft store and the kids painted them with sparkly red paint.

Here's our goody bag table. I found the baskets at Michael's.

In the baskets were Glinda the Good Witch bubbles, rainbow stickers, a gingham hair bow for the girls and rainbow slinkies for the boys, and bricks from the yellow brick road.
Helena had a fabulous time with her friends and I thought it turned out super cute!

6 comments:

gjan said...

Cute party!

Jonny said...

HOLY COW! Here is your calling in life (after being a mommy of course) Kate that is all so adorable!!!!!!! You are incredible! I really need to step up on the food for Brooke's shower! :) -Rach

Christie said...

What an awesome party! Everything sounds so cute but I especially love those cupcakes.

Claire said...

You have always been so creative, but WOW! You are adorable, everythink looks so perfect - what a great mom you are :)

Stephens Family said...

I just don't know how you do it, Kate - coming up with all the cute ideas, plus finding the time to get it all done! It was such a sweet, fun party and Kasidee keeps talking about it. The little treasures you gave out made my older girls jealous! Thanks for a fun time!

Twisted Cinderella said...

What a fun and creative idea!