Pages

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Summer art + lime watermelon slushies!

For our art project yesterday, I surprised the girls with a sensory painting experience!
A few days ago, I filled ice cube trays halfway up with plain acrylic craft paint and then topped each one off with a little water and mixed it all up. I froze them for a few days until we were ready to use them. After quiet time, I rolled out a long sheet of paper on the deck, changed the kids into their bathing suits, and gave them the paint cubes. It was fun, but M-E-S-S-Y!



Tempe and Helena experimented with doing hand and foot prints--and then tracked the paint across the deck to the wash off station. It's a good thing I am planning on redoing the deck in the fall!




While the girls were doing their project, I was enjoying the most wonderful, delicious, summer drink I have ever had. Lately we've been making lots of Brazilian Lemonade (we like this recipe) and smoothies with tons of fruits and veggies in them. Those are good, but this is even better and much simpler (simpler than the Brazilian Lemonade, at least).
Lime watermelon slushie. Yum, yum, yum. Great way to use up leftover watermelon, because the secret ingredient is frozen chunks of watermelon. When I buy a watermelon, I cube it all and freeze half (or more) in a single layer on a baking sheet. Then I transfer the frozen chunks to a gallon size bag.
So to make this yummy drink, fill a blender jar 1/2 way with regular watermelon chunks and then the rest of the way with frozen watermelon chunks. Add the juice of 3-4 limes and 1/4 cup sugar and blend until slushy. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Claire said...

You are such an awesome mom!

Lisa said...

Messy, messy, but fun!