I have been wanting a blacklight for various projects for a while now, and I finally got one yesterday at Walmart--a compact fluorescent blacklight bulb for only $4.96!!--and we have been having way too much fun with it.
I put it in the light fixture in our closet playroom and turned out the lights and voila--
A psychedelic playroom.
The girls have had fun :
- coloring with highlighters
- plastering neon stickers (the round ones meant for yard sale pricing, etc) all over the walls
- gathering up items from all over the house to see what glowed best
- playing with the LiteBright (most of the pegs glow under the blacklight!)
- setting up dominoes and knocking them over
- experimenting with highlighters on their skin. Helena discovered that she could color on her hand to make it glow in the dark--but when she washed it off, even though her skin looked clean, it still glowed! She finally admitted she hadn't used soap. Neat object lesson on germs and why rinsing with water doesn't really clean!!
We're going to use the blacklight at Tempe's glow-in-the-dark birthday party next month, too!