Pages

Friday, January 15, 2010

my food storage journey

Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints have always been counseled to prudently build up a year's supply of food and other necessitites that can be used in times of need, whether this need arises from a natural disaster or a loss of income or other financial blow.
This was my goal last year.
I completely failed.
But this year I have a plan.
I am going to build up a 6 month supply (you gotta start somewhere) of food and supplies for $50/month this year.
Would you like to join me?
(I need people to keep me accountable)
The first thing I did was make a simple one-week menu of meals I can make out of completely shelf-stable food. I used this simple menu to figure out how much of each ingredient I would need for a week, then for a month, then for three months. So I have a basic idea of how much food I will need for three months.
Then I took each month of the year and decided what I would buy with my $50 that month. In January, it will go to a 3-month supply of breakfast foods, February is lunch and snack foods, March and April are dinner foods, May is baking supplies, and June is toiletries and household goods.
So by June I should have a 3-month supply of everything. In July, the schedule starts over, so by the end of the year, I should meet my goal with a 6-month supply of food and necessities.
I'm using two important principles in this plan.
First, instead of buying canned wheat and beans and scary things like that, I am focusing my energies on foods that are already incorporated into our daily diet: rice, canned tomatoes, canned chicken, chili, oatmeal, etc.
Second, since these are things we already eat, I will rotate our food storage throughout the year. This means I will use them as the need arises, and replenish the supply during my normal grocery shopping.
Someone tell me this will work...

7 comments:

Tricia and Jon said...

I actually have a list if you want it - it's how to build up one year of food storage for $5 per week. Let me know if you're interested!

Kathryn said...

That will totally work! I am so wanting to join you, but until we know where we will be and will have somewhere to store such items... I will live vicariously through you...I am so interested in following your progress though. Good luck but I totally think it will work!

Christie said...

Food storage is SUPER scary. But it sounds like you have a good plan! Good luck.

Kelly B said...

That sounds like a great idea. I don't know if I would have the space, but I will definitely try it with you. With 5 kids, it can't be a bad thing to do. With the economy the way it is, it is even more appealing to me. Tell us about what you do. I will try it as well. ;0)

The Photographer said...

I would love for you to post your meal plan for the shelf stable food...great plan...not sure if I can keep up, but i'd love to watch you and then plan for the future!

Choosy mom said...

It will work and I would love to do it with you. I will probably go with the old fashioned food storage route, but I like the way you are doing it too. I use wheat every day because I have a wheat grinder and a really easy recipe for homemade bread. I don’t even buy store bread anymore because my homemade bread costs 20 cents a loaf and takes 6 minutes of prep work for 3 whole wheat bread loafs. If you ever want to brave the world of wheat talk to me. But I think that you are smart to build up your storage of things that you will actually eat. Good job.

Debi Clark said...

Looks like a good plan to me. Before we started gathering I was totally a deer in the headlights looking at what others had or what I thought it was supposed to look like.

Just remember Nephi (this is my FAVORITE preparedness/provident living scripture) - I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them.

You will have heaven on your side as you do!!