Pages

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

"Mom, you make homemade dinner?"

Lately Juno has been obsessed with whether or not our dinner is homemade. I'm not sure why, especially since I make 90% of everything from scratch (not trying to be super-Mom, just trying to save a few bucks!)
Anyway, here is one of our new favorite dinners: homemade chili and corn muffins.
I'm not sure this really counts as a chili, though, it might be a bean soup, but whatever it is, it's good!

Kate's "homemade dinner" chili
1/2 red onion, diced
1 T minced garlic
drizzle of olive oil
1 can cannellini beans, drained
1 can black beans, drained
1 can "chili ready" tomatoes, undrained
chicken broth
salt and pepper
oregano
chili powder
ground cumin

1. Cook onion and garlic in olive oil until onion is fragrant and tender; add beans and tomatoes. Add enough chicken broth to make it the consistency you like (less for a thicker chili, more for soupier). Add seasonings to taste. I like lots of cumin. Yes, cumin in chili--it is so good! Simmer for 20 minutes or so.
2. Serve with lots of assorted toppings. This is what makes this everyone's favorite meal. Our favorite toppings are cilantro, diced avocado, lime wedges, sunflower kernels, corn, crumbled cornbread, and diced bell peppers.



I use this cornbread recipe from Mel's Kitchen Cafe and it's foolproof. So, so yummy! 
I like to double this and freeze half for later, which should come in handy as I start some marathon freezer cooking sessions to prep for the arrival of baby #4 in just a few weeks!
PS I am aware that three canned ingredients might make this not count as "homemade", but I can't figure out beans. 

No comments: