Pages

Monday, May 4, 2009

Homemade Christmas

Lately I have been reading craft blogs (and there are some pretty awesome ones out there!) and I've really been inspired. So much in fact, that--are you ready?--I've decided to pledge to do a homemade Christmas this year! *the one exception is clothing--my girls always need clothes and Christmas is the perfect opportunity to get them some cute new things!* Of course, I haven't discussed this with Jason yet, so maybe it's a little early to use the word "pledge". But I really, really want to, at least for the girls. It might be kind of hard for Jason and I to do a homemade Christmas for each other. There aren't many manly crafts out there for me to make for him, and I'm not sure he's ambitious enough to make something for me.
So far on my list to make for the girls:
  • Button bracelets for both of them
  • Personalized color books for both of them (not coloring books--books with a page for each color and a photograph to illustrate)
  • A family Memory game for Tempe
  • A girly fishing rod game for Helena
  • A crayon roll for Tempe
  • A fairy wand and felt crown for Helena
Of course, I will probably throw in a few hairbows, and I'm sure the list will grow as the year goes on and new interests develop. The main reason I want to do this is not saving money. I might save a little, but not enough to make much of a difference. No, I want to do this because I think homemade gifts are almost always more meaningful; I love creating things and I want to take the time to make meaningful gifts for my girls.

{Update} I talked to Jason about my great idea last night, and he wasn't so sure... but I think we found a good compromise. We will make at least one element of every gift, but not necessarily the entire gift.

2 comments:

Candice said...

This is a great idea, I love it! I did our whole Christmas list last year with things I purchased on Etsy and it was so worth it. I love supporting craft work. The girls will certainly love that!!

Rachel said...

You are so creative Kate! That is such an incredible idea!