Pages

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

a parenting triumph

Introducing...


Ruby Violet Blueberry Tempe Blue.

Can you guess who named our new Betta fish?

Tempe has been working so hard to earn this fish--her very first pet!--and she finally got him on Monday!

Back in March, the primary president in our ward talked to me about Tempe's behavior in primary. She was goofing off, getting out of her chair and running around, and collapsing in tears every week. I was mortified. Nobody wants their kid to be "that kid". We immediately started talking to her about it at home and trying to find a way to help her change her behavior.

We started a simple reward system at home.

We switched her sacrament meeting snack from honey nut cheerios to cashews and string cheese.

We promised her she could get a fish after 2 months of consistent good behavior in primary, and Jason drew a fish on her hand every week to remind her.

But what really made the difference for her was walking to church.

I really think it was inspiration. We had been praying to know how we could help her, and one day when I wasn't even thinking about it, the idea of walking her to church popped into my head out of nowhere.

Walking to church gets some of her energy out, gives her some time alone with Mom or Dad, and stimulates her just enough that she is ready to learn when she gets to primary.

I don't want to jinx myself, so I'll stop talking now, but it's amazing what a difference walking has made!

4 comments:

Abby@AppMtn said...

LOVE the fish name. :) Our betta is called Pebble-Eater. I have no clue how Aly came up with that one.

We walk everywhere, BTW. I have days when I long for a minivan tricked out with DVD players and cup holders and such, but mostly, I think you're right about it being a good influence for the kids.

The Colvins said...

That is a parenting triumph for sure! When we can get through to our kids in a positive way it is such a relief and it feels like we are making progress as parents. But, can I say I'm glad to hear she has her moments (she is so cute you would never know), because it makes my kids seem normal!

Lisa said...

Don't you love how God answers our prayers with practical solutions?

Rachel said...

Wow, that is GReAT! You are amazing