Pages

Monday, April 22, 2013

The garden is in!

In honor of Earth Day today, Helena and Juno helped me start our garden!
I decided to follow the square foot gardening philosophy for this, my maiden garden. I like square foot gardening because it's supposed to cut down on the weeds (because you grow so much so close together AND because you usually use a raised bed) plus it produces a lot of vegetables in a very small space. More bang for your buck and also less work!
I got my raised bed in a kit from Home Depot for $30. Then I dug out the grass where I wanted it so it was just a square of bare dirt. I layered and overlapped wet newspapers across the bare dirt as a weed barrier, then added two bags of organic garden soil and one bag of organic compost. I divided my 4x4 garden into a grid of 16 squares and used yarn and a staple gun to make a grid across the top of the garden.


Then it was finally time to plant!!
I did a lot of research and asked a lot of questions and decided to start some things from seed and buy some as transplants. I bought/will buy blueberries, strawberries, and cherry tomatoes; everything else I am starting from seed.


It's too early for everything here, so I just put in the carrots, broccoli, spinach, peas, and lettuce, and I'll plant everything else around Mother' Day. I'm especially excited about the blueberries and strawberries--they're perennial, so they, along with my raspberry patch on the side of the house and the peach tree that I am hoping to get for Mother's Day, will produce fruit for my family for many years! I will be excited for everything else, too, but I'm not expecting too much this year. If my kids can each pull out a carrot and eat a couple sugar snap peas straight out of the garden, I will be happy with that :)
PS Do you think cherry tomatoes will grow up that trellis or do I really need to buy a tomato cage for them?

2 comments:

Claire said...

This looks awesome! Sorry I don't have any advice but I thank you for displaying this because the second I get out if an apartment I want to start this :) can't wait to see how it goes!

Claire said...

Hey how did this end up turning out?